Skip navigation
6632 Views 57 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 1:04 PM by php07rab RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2011 11:38 AM

Linux Printer

I am PhD student at Kroto Research Institute. I am using Linux operating system (I am using Ubunta 11.04)  and I have tried to install Iprinter and to install network printer ,but I have a problem with it. First of all I downloaded DEBIAN package  (iprint) for my system but the folowing link doesn't work.

http://shefuniprt.shef.ac.uk/prchooser/

But after selecting the printer and cliking on it ,it doesn't show any things,just a white page!!!

This is errors that I faced them in terminal:

auxin@auxin-DQ45CB:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i iprint_1104_32.deb

[sudo] password for auxin:

(Reading database ... 158917 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace novell-iprint-xclient-sl 6.502.20090929-1 (using iprint_1104_32.deb) ...

cat: /etc/SuSE-release: No such file or directory

Unpacking replacement novell-iprint-xclient-sl ...

/var/lib/dpkg/info/novell-iprint-xclient-sl.postrm: line 5: test: upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/info/novell-iprint-xclient-sl.postrm: line 15: test: upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/info/novell-iprint-xclient-sl.postrm: line 24: sbin/insserv: No such file or directory

dpkg: warning: subprocess old post-removal script returned error exit status 127

dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: test: failed-upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 15: test: failed-upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 24: sbin/insserv: No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing iprint_1104_32.deb (--install):

subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127

cat: /etc/SuSE-release: No such file or directory

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: test: abort-upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 15: test: abort-upgrade: integer expression expected

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 24: sbin/insserv: No such file or directory

dpkg: error while cleaning up:

subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot

Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...

Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...

Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...

Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_GB.utf8.cache...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Processing triggers for python-support ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

iprint_1104_32.deb

I still have problem with it!!!  I would appropriated if I receive your support and help.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to acq09ma)
    Linux Printer

Hi Mitra,

I've just looked at the Printer Selection page you linked to. For Ubuntu 11.04, it appears you have to use the development iPrint version (not the standard Linux one). Give that a go and see if that works better

James

Aug 18, 2011 1:09 PM (in response to acq09ma)
    Linux Printer

I've never had much luck with iPrint.  I've found it much quicker and easier to install using the printer's ipp address directly, and then follow the steps for the drivers.

Aug 22, 2011 11:13 AM (in response to acq09ma)
      Linux Printer

The guide do not really help you work out the name of the printer.

It does just mean that we cannot easily replicate your issue since we do not know which printer you are trying to connect to.  Are you aware of PC users printing okay - do they know the name of the printer as its listed in PRChooser, or can you just look in PRChooser and tell us its name?

Regards

IanB

Aug 22, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to acq09ma)
          Linux Printer

For us to replicate the issue you are having we need to know the name of the printer please.

Aug 22, 2011 12:11 PM (in response to acq09ma)
              Linux Printer

Haha! Ok try this:

Add printer

Host: shefuniprt.shef.ac.uk

Queue: /ipp/kroto-mx5001-f13?type=ipp

Click forward

It'll search for a driver, just wait until it gives up, then select the correct driver from the list. If it errors at this point just click cancel then try and print a test page.

Aug 22, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to acq09ma)
              Linux Printer

Hi Mitra.

SHARP MX-5001N is the model of the printer.  We still need to somehow identify the exact printer on the network!

I think it looks like John has guessed at the one called 'kroto-mx5001-f13' for you.

Regards

IanB

Aug 22, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to acq09ma)
                  Linux Printer

Well done all!  Linux group FTW.

Aug 24, 2011 1:31 PM (in response to ad1swl)
                    Linux Printer

PRChooser advice for ubuntu 11.04 has now been updated.

Regards

IanB

Sep 29, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to cs1ijb)
                      Linux Printer

Hi,

I am having similar troubles.

I am following the advice as per http://shefuniprt.shef.ac.uk/prchooser/docs/ubuntu_1104.txt and this thread but when it comes to finding drivers for the printer I get an error message saying:

"CUPS server error (fetching PPD)

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'server-error-service-unavailable'."

My printer is gg-lj4250-a5 A5 in Geography and I have shefuniprt.shef.ac.uk as the host and /ipp/gg-lj4250-a5 as the queue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Oct 18, 2011 5:18 PM (in response to acq09ma)
                        Linux Printer

Perhaps just remove the printer and try adding it back in again using the instructions:

http://shefuniprt.shef.ac.uk/prchooser/docs/ubuntu_1104.txt

Regards

IanB

Oct 20, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to acq09ma)
                        Re: Linux Printer

There are one or two posts on the web that some Oneiric updates break cups, so you could try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cups

Then follow the above instructions to set it up again from scratch.

On another note, unless you are a competent linux user I would advise against updating to the latest version so soon after it's release, nomatter how much it begs you to click the upgrade button. Initial releases generally have irritating teething issues.

Oct 24, 2011 11:25 AM (in response to acq09ma)
                            Linux Printer

Hello All,

I'm seeing the same error as Mitra with Ubuntu 11.10.

Error "cups-ipp-missing-validate-job" on printers that were working ok prior to the upgrade.

I'm new to Linux but i think i just learnt a lesson about performing point-release OS updates...

Cheers,

Mark

Oct 25, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to nc1mew)
                              Linux Printer

The Software Update system updated CUPS today but still no joy with printers added via IPP addresses. Deleting and re-adding doesn't help.

I have, however, discovered that you can successly use printers if you add them from the "Automatically discovered" list. You need to know the IP address your desired printer is currently using in order to pick it out but it seems to work ok. (Sharp MFDs appear to use socket:// protocol and HP laserjets use dnssd:// )

Oct 25, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to nc1mew)
                                Linux Printer

I have been able to replicate the error 'cups-ipp-missing-validate-job'

I noticed that a printer I had installed prior to the upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 continues to work and that it printers installed after the upgrade that are not working.

I will see if we can identify the issue when I get some time, even time to simply google the error.

Regards

IanB

Oct 25, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to cs1ijb)
                                  Linux Printer

You won't find much on Google!

It probably needs reporting as a bug to the Ubuntu team.

Oct 25, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to cs1trp)
                                    Linux Printer

I will let someone else do that.... John??? :Op

I have discovered that, in fact, I was wrong to say a pre upgrade ipp printer continued to work - in fact this was a socket printer not an ipp printer.

Changing the printer configuration from socket to ipp resulted in the same error, and changing it back to socket got it working once again.

To change to a socket port, look at the printer properties, click on 'change' at the end of the line reading Device URI.  Look under Network Printer, AppSocket/HP Jetdirect, and type in the printer name (as read from PRChooser).  Apply and it should begin to work...

Ideally, everyone prints to a central queue that is easily managed, and help diagnose where troublesome print jobs are coming from, so this should be considered a temporary work around.

Regards

IanB

Oct 25, 2011 2:51 PM (in response to cs1ijb)
                                      Linux Printer

I can also confirm the problems with Oneiric and IPP printing.  In my experience, though, IPP printing seems to cause problems regardless of OS (especially with the HP LaserJet 1320n - the "recommended" Vista/Windows7 drivers do not work!).  I found that JetDirect connections worked far more reliably, and so normally use that instead.

Oct 25, 2011 6:15 PM (in response to php07rab)

As an update, I think this is an issue with upstream CUPS as well.  Between CUPS 1.4.6 (in Natty) and 1.5.0 in Oneiric, some "compliance" tests were added to the file /backend/ipp.c (revisions 9490 and 9759).  These fail on non-CUPS IPP servers, since the validate-job option is apparently a CUPS extension to the IPP standard.  However, the actual message appears to be generated in the loop at line 1229:

while (!job_canceled && validate_job)

In other words, Validate-Job appears to be safe to use, but does not in fact work on the Novell servers.  From what I've seen in the logs and source code, it seems like you still get the print job sent to the print server regardless of the validate-job failure, but you get the annoying error message locally.

It may be worth checking what version of CUPS got included in OS X Lion...

Oct 26, 2011 8:30 AM (in response to cs1ijb)

Roll on Managed Staff Printing...

Oct 26, 2011 8:46 AM (in response to cs1trp)

I've raised this as an Ubuntu bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/881843

Even if it is cosmetic and the print jobs do go to the printer, it's annoying.

Oct 27, 2011 2:44 PM (in response to cs1trp)

OK, having raised this as a CUPS bug as well, the developers there seem to be considering it a bug in the Novell server (not supporting required parts of the IPP specifications) and not an issue with CUPS.  At the same time, there seem to be quite a few people having the same problems!

I'd be tempted at this point to suggest one of the following:

• Use socket: or lpd: protocols only
                                          • Set up a CUPS 1.4 server to wrap the offending printers - essentially client->CUPS server->shefuniprt->printer
                                          • Share the printers some other way?  (LPD or SMB servers are tempting)
                                            Oct 27, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to php07rab)

It's tempting to reply with 'Well it did work...' Plus there seem to be people with the same issue who aren't using Novell.

The Managed Staff Printing project, on which I'm working at the moment, is currently planned to only use Windows/SMB queues. This is some way off as we're only just about to pilot it within the department.

In the meantime, we'll have a discussion internally and see if we can come up with some advice for shorter term.

Oct 27, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to cs1trp)

I agree - and it looks a lot like most non-CUPS systems don't use or support it well, regardless of standards.  I also managed to check OS X 10.7.2 today (without iPrint), and that also fails, but with less clues than in Gnome.

Thanks for the help with this!

Oct 27, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to php07rab)

Another update:

For those of you experienced enough to try compiling CUPS from source, I think I might have got this to work after all.

1. Download the patch from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/881843/+attachment/2575416/+files/ipp-patch-r8950%2B.patch
                                                2. Run "mkdir cups && cd cups && apt-get source cups" to fetch Ubuntu's source code for CUPS and place it in its own directory.
                                                3. Change to the "cups-1.5.0" directory, then run "patch -p2 < ipp-patch-file", where ipp-patch-file is the location of the patch file.  If this fails, try changing -p2 to -p1.
                                                4. Run "./configure" then "cd backend && make"
                                                5. Run the following:
                                                  1. "sudo cp /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp-backup"
                                                  2. "sudo cp ./ipp /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp"

Printing to IPP printers should now work.  As described on the Ubuntu bug tracker, this patch effectively replaces the IPP backend with the old and working version (with one small modification to make it compile with CUPS 1.5).

Oct 28, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to php07rab)

Sorry everyone ... I have yet another update:

Playing around some more, I now have a newer, less drastic CUPS patch, which seems to work for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/881843/comments/12

Oct 28, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to php07rab)

After a discussion internally, our advice in the short term is to utilise the patch that Robert has very kindly provided, or wait until it's been incorporated into an official Ubuntu release.

Longer term, as I mentioned above, the managed staff print project will be providing SMB Windows-based queues for printing. In fact these will be generic held queues rather than device specific, as per the student pre-pay printing system, with a swipe card release system.

Nov 8, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to php07rab)

I apologise for the delay, everyone.  I ended up fixing far more bugs in the IPP backend than I had expected!  Anyway, I am hoping that the latest patch will work for everyone else, and then we can get the fix we need in Oneiric soon.

One possible workaround: can we try adding "RAW" to the list of accepted print formats on the Novell servers?  That might work around the issue for Apple users as well.

Nov 15, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to php07rab)

Using Oneric 64 bit - iprint not working and manual configuration options lacking...

Another way I found (by fluke) is through the CUPS website: http://127.0.0.1:631

I have no idea how this works and was amazed to see a complete list of Geography dept's printers, but I just printed my first sheet, so definitely works!

Found via blog on the subject. http://www.jamesstroud.com/jamess-miscellaneous-how-tos/os-x-admin/add-cups-printer

Dec 5, 2011 1:04 PM (in response to dtp09rl)

Robin, that works thanks to SNMP discovery and sockets.  In other words, it can discover local printers and add them without going through the iPrint servers.

Everyone else:

If you enable the oneiric-propsed repository in Software Sources (Updates tab, tick "Proposed Updates"), you should be able to install the CUPS update that fixes this from Update Manager or "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade".  It's not ideal, since the entire IPP backend was downgraded to the 1.4.x version, but it works.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)